New York City, April 18, 1911. Mr. David Eccles, Amalgamated Sugar Company, O g d e n, U t a h. My dear friend: I enclose you copy of each of the drafts of the answer now preparing, with the special request that you read over the following paragraphs in the Amalgamated answer: II, III, VI, X, XVI and XVIII, and the following paragraphs in the Lewiston answer: II, III, the latter part of V, XI and XII. In these paragraphs you will observe that we have taken a little different shoot with the answers – especially so far as the Lewiston matter is concerned – and as I told you before, we will insist before the Court that even if Nibley should have succeeded in interesting Mr. Havemeyer in the first place, we would have claimed the property as being held in trust for the Amalgamated Sugar Company, of which he was at that time Vice President. I have also given reasons for our delay in the building of the factory until 1905, which seems to be the principal thing that the government is complaining about, and by which they insist that we cut out other competitors. Things are still very uncertain here in New York. We have had no intimation as to when the demurrer will be heard, and it is very likely that the government will wait for the Standard Oil and Tobacco decisions, unless they are willing to take a chance of filing a new complaint – as I think they will be ___compelled to do. In business circles things are very much depressed on Wall Street. I have had several talks with some of our friends, and it is evident that the bottom has not been reached by a good deal, and especially will this be true if crop conditions (which now seem favorable) should turn out otherwise. Even reports from the West and Northwest, I am told, are beginning to be discouraging, although up to the present time they have helped to give stamina to the market. I find that money is more than plentiful in all the banks, and rates of interest very low, but no use seems to be desired to be made of this money. While I notice we have plenty of money in the banks at home, I hope that we shall continue to be in that condition, because one never can tell what the result of this depression may be. I have no idea that the wool schedule is going to pass Congress this year, ____ although of course it ought to affect the price of sheep, and therefore we ought to invest pretty heavily in sheep for the ranch. On Friday I wrote and telegraphed David C about the Grand Opera house, after my talk with Mr. Meyerfeld of the Orpheum Circuit. If you will read that letter you will observe that there is very little doing in that direction, and that I recommended, upon the suggestion of Meyerfeld, that we close up with Mr. Cort for his shows, and then see what the Orpheum can do by way of filling in afterwards.Mr. Eccles, (2) April 18, 1911. I am really of the opinion, after talking the entire matter over, that the boys had better accept their losses as they now stand, because I am fearful they would be greater if they were to try to have the Orpheum Circuit pull them out; besides, you know I have no faith whatever in Garrett, and I should have very little reliance in his statements because he is evidently altogether too optimistic. I gather from my talk with Meyerfeld that Garrett had very much over stated conditions as he explained them to the boys. Personally, I believe that I am getting better; I am certainly sleeping much better, and as soon as we get through with the answer, I shall go right home. I regretted very much to hear of Earle Emmett’s death, especially in view of the fact that I had so recently talked with him, and he seemed to be in the best of health. Please give my love to all the boys, and accept the same yourself. Yours very truly, Henry H. Rolapp
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.