March 22, 1945
MEMORANDUM REGARDING J. WISNER, TORREON.
I had lunch with Albert ""Pat"" Doerr today regarding his property at Asientos, Aguascal., memo and report on which I have left on Al Rodriguez' desk. While in Pat's office he showed me part of a letter from McCallister of San Luis Potosi he had just received. Pat and McCallister, with Paul Avery and others, are partners in the Guadalczar tin-gold-silver-quicksilver-and what-have-you placer. The part of the letter Pat showed me said in effect this:
""I have just seen Johnny Wisner at Torreon. He tells me Eagle-Picher have sent him more drill-hole samples to assay than he can handle. They are tackling everything, any wild-cat, so why not try them out on Guadalczar?""
Evidently Wisner shot his mouth off completely to McCallister regarding the work he has been doing for us and what he could find out about it. -This is an intolerable breach of confidence; a private assayer should be like a doctor or lawyer or consulting engineer-keep his damned mouth shut. We should cut Wisner off completely and tell him why, beside his incompetence in zinc assays: because we have evidence of his violation of confidence. I should not want to mention Doerr's name because Pat is a very old per-sonal friend of mine and showed me the letter out of pure kind-ness,knowing my seeing it would hurt his chances on Guadalcazar. Of course I kidded him about that angle. He told me the following:
San Luis turned it down when Bateman refused to subsidize them. Bill Kane and Foshag are strong for it.(This is true). Beauchamp of Hamilton B. and Woodworth ran tests on it, for four months and could get only 33% extraction of the tin. (Total contained value in the placer $l.20 plus or minus: 500 gm, tin per tonxxxxxx one pound; 250 gm, quicksilver; 70% of the total value in the placer is in tin, remaining 30% quicksilver, silver and gold). Swent put down 22 holes 200 m. apart;deepest was 60 m. Values said to be remarkably uniform. Tonnage estimates range from 800,000,000 to over 1,000,000,000. (Yep,that's what I said--sell it to FDR). Sample for tests were sent Consolidated Mining and Smelting,Brit. Columbia. They have a dump with tin they are treating. Tests gave over 65% tin extraction. Use trick blank-ets on tables that turn over mechanically.
Swent told me the thing was feasible only with $1 a lb.tin, on the basis of Beauchamp's tests. With 65% extraction you could \ get by on 50 cent tin;mill said to be very cheap to build. Quien sable I thought we might as well get the dope,so told Pat to come and tell you or Al about this.
Edward Wisser Edward Wisser
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.