Skip to main content

To link to this object, paste this link in email, IM or document

To embed this object, paste this HTML in website

Thomas J. Moore / Carolyn R. Nebeker Collection

small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Thomas J. Moore / Carloyn R. Nebeker Collection,

Table of Contents

Collection Overview

Collection Inventory+/-

Biographical Note/Historical Note

Content Description

Collection Use

Administrative Information

Subjects

Collection Overview +/-

Title: Thomas J. Moore / Carolyn R. Nebeker Collection
Dates: 1909-1983. (inclusive)
Collection Number: MS 019
Summary: The materials comprising Manuscript Collection no. 19 (MS 19) were received as two separate donations from Thomas Moore and Carolyn R. Nebeker in 1978 and 1983, architectural examples of Leslie S. Hodgson, Myrl A. McClenahan, G. C. Wood, Thomas W. Cooper, Herwood Hewitt, Oscar Baide, Bernard J. Joseph, T. A. Perkins, and Eber F. Piers of an historic buildings survey undertaken in 1971 by the Junior League of Ogden, the Eccles Avenue Historic Preservation Committee. The Committee sought to document the historical and architectural significance of the major homes in an exclusive residential district commonly referred to as the “Eccles Circle” in Ogden, Utah begun in 1909.
Repository: Stewart Library Special Collections
Address:
2901 University Circle
Ogden UT 84408

Collection Inventory +/-

Box 1, Folder 1: Browning, (Marriner) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, blueprints (copies), personal correspondence, estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 2: Dumke, (Ezekial R.) residence:

photograph, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, estrays and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 3: Eccles, (LeRoy) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation (copy), historical site inventory, personal correspondence, biographical sketch, estrays and newclippings.

Box 1, Folder 4: Eccles, (Marriner S.) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, biographical sketches, estrays, newsclippings, and publication.

Box 1, Folder 5: Eccles, (Royal) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, biographical sketches, estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 6: Healy (Patrick) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, blueprints (copies), and estrays.

Box 1, Folder 7: Houtz, (John S.) residence:

photographs, inventory, appraisal, blueprints (copies), estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 8: Larking, (Elijah A.) residence:

photograph, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 9: Morrell, (Joseph) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, estrays, and inventory.

Box 1, Folder 10: Rowe, (Hugh M.) residence:

photograph, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, blueprints (copies), estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 11: Shearman, (William H.) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 12: Wattis, (E.O.) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal correspondence, biographical sketches, estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 13: Weeks, (Ottis) residence:

photographs, historical site evaluation, historical site inventory, personal corresondence, blueprints (copies), estrays, and newsclippings.

Box 1, Folder 14: Miscellaneous:

photographs of homes in the Eccles Historical District not researched during preservation project.

Biographical Note/Historical Note +/-

Content Description +/-

The materials comprising Manuscript Collection no. 19 (MS 019) were received as two separate donations from Thomas Moore and Carolyn R. Nebeker in 1978 and 1983. Processed in the spring of 1984, the gifts were consolidated in a single collection to emphasize the complimentary nature of the subject matter. An outgrowth of an historic buildings survey undertaken in 1971 by the Junior League of Ogden, the Eccles Avenue Historic Preservation Committee was organized in 1974. Chaired by Carolyn Rich Nebeker, the Committee sought to document the historical and architectural significance of the major homes in an exclusive residential district commonly referred to as the “Eccles Circle.” Located in a two square block area bounded by Van Buren Avenue (East), Jackson Avenue (West), 25th Street (North), and 26th Street (South), the subdivision was begun in 1909 by Ogden Financier David Eccles. During the following two decades, it became the residence of some of the city’s most prominent citizens; men and women involved in the cultural and economic development of much of Utah. Ogden architects Eber F. Piers and Leslie S. Hodgson provided the plans for most of the district’s homes. Piers’ style is noted for its simplicity and is and excellent example of the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright on the architecture of the period. Hodgson’s work appears more elaborate, but nonetheless sensitive. His design for the Patrick Healy, Jr. home at 2580 Eccles Avenue has been described as, “a masterful work in the development of the Old English style architecture,” and is hailed as one of Ogden’s finest landmarks. Both men achieved subsequent success as notable architects. Piers designed some 300 structures in the Ogden area, including the First Security Bank building, at 2404 Washington Boulevard. Hodgson founded the architectural and engineering firm of Leslie S. Hodgson Company, specialists in commercial and public buildings, engineering structures, water works and utility plants. A noteworthy example of his work is the Ogden High School building at 2850 Harrison Boulevard. To prepare the Eccles Avenue homes for nomination as historic sites, the Preservation Committee surveyed records in the Ogden City Recorder’s Office, libraries city cemeteries, and from descendants of the original homeowners. From these sources, an historical site inventory was compiled for each home. These inventories described the historical and architectural characteristics of the homes, provide information pertaining to title and ownership, and note the year in which the home was built. Supporting materials include photographs, newspaper clippings, biographical sketches, estrays, and a few floor plans. Directing the research effort during the eight months of the project was Thomas J. Moore. His home at 2541 Van Buren Avenue was the former residence of Marriner S. Eccles and one of the homes considered to be historically significant. Also considered for recognition were the former residences of Marriner A. Browning (2565 Eccles Avenue), Ezekiel R. Dumke (2527 Van Buren Avenue), Leroy Eccles (2509 Eccles Avenue), Royal Eccles (2509 Eccles Avenue), Royal Eccles (2509 Jackson Avenue), Patrick Healy, Jr. (2580 Eccles Avenue), John S. Houtz (2522 Eccles Avenue), Elijah A. Larkin (2545 Eccles Avenue), Joseph Morrell (2533 Eccles Avenue), Hugh M. Rowe (2555 Eccles Avenue), William H. Sherman (2532 Eccles Avenue), Horace A. Walker (2504 Eccles Avenue), E. O. Wattis (2540 Eccles Avenue), and Ottis Weeks (2529 Eccles Avenue). Assisting Mr. Moore with the inventories were Helen (Mrs. Glen) Harding, Rowland Larkin, Beverly (Mrs. Alan), Nye, Helen Young, Erika Martin, Valeen (Mrs. Grant) Wood, Barbara (Mrs. Monte) De Haan, Justin Eccles, Mary Francis Hetzel (Mrs. Burton) Fisher, Lucia Browning, Seth Butterfield, Carolyn Rich Nebeker, Shirley Parke, and Edna (Mrs. George Fister. Their research was completed during the summer of 1975 and the nominating petitions were submitted for consideration to the Historic Preservation Office of the Utah State Historical Society in Salt Lake City. With the exception of the Walker residence, all homes received recognition as historic sites and the Eccles Avenue subdivision was designated the Eccles Avenue Historic District on December 12, 1976. Of the homes included in the survey of the Historic Preservation Committee, five have blueprints included in the collection of architectural drawings acquired from the Leslie S. Hodgson Company. These are the Marriner Browning residence, the Leroy Eccles residence, the Royal Eccles residence, the Patrick Healy, Jr. residence, and the E. O. Wattis residence. In addition, the Hodgson drawings provide blueprints to a variety of Ogden structures built between 1910 and 1944, and give examples of not only Hodgson’s work but also that of Myrl A. McClenahan, G. C. Wood, Thomas W. Cooper, Herwood Hewitt, Oscar Baide, Bernard J. Joseph, T. A. Perkins, and Eber F. Piers.

Collection Use +/-

Restrictions on Access:

Open to public research.

Administrative Information +/-

Arrangement:

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Acquisition Information:

Donated

Creator:

Moore, Thomas J.

Language:

English.

Sponsor:

Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Quantity:

14 folders

Language of the Finding Aid:

Finding aid written in English in Latin script

Author of the Finding Aid:

Sarah Langsdon

EAD Creation Date:

2011

Standard:

Finding aid based on DACS

Subjects +/-

Subject Terms:

Material Types
Technical Plans and Drawings
Architecture--Designs and plans
Ogden (Utah)

Personal Names:

Hodgson, Leslie
Piers, Eber

you wish to report:
Your comment:
Your Name:
...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK