The Broom's Bench School was finished in 1890 with one room, four windows, two doors, a solid blackboard at the back, and located on 12th Street. The school was opened in January 1891, by Miss Linda Irwin who had moved west from New York because of her health. Miss Irwin became an important teacher in the Ogden schools, serving in the Broom's Bench district which included Washington and Grant schools for over eight years. When the railcars could not drive through the snow drifts, she frequently walked the four miles from her home on 36th Street and Kiesel to her school. She lived to be over 87 years old and served Ogden as an educator of many students over her career.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.