The Washington School started in Ogden in 1873 as a one-room building that contained only thirty-seven double desks. The school was not used for a year, when it was discovered that the building was too insecure for occupancy. It took the citizens of the area time to raise the additional $500 needed to fix the school. Once opened, the school continued to grow in space and students. By 1914, the building, located on Madison Avenue between 24th and 25th Streets, had fourteen rooms to teach the elementary and growing junior high populations. Linda Irwin is pictured here with one of her classes taken outside the 1886 brick addition to the building.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.